Alwin Zapanta isn’t just your average 20-year old. He was born and raised in the Philippines but later came to the U.S. when he had just started middle school. Just barely knowing a few words in English and still having a strong native accent at the time as well, it was a long and dragging process to get to where he is right now. Currently he’s been working for Publix for 2-3 years and is hoping to pass his nursing exam so he can be a certified nurse like his father. Throughout these struggles of adapting to his new life in the U.S. he has still persevered and with his award-winning attitude and nothing seemed to get in his way, getting the job done whatever it is.
- What made you want to start working as soon as you got the chance to?
- Do you feel like you have enough time for yourself and your mental health?
- What makes Publix such a great company to work for that you’ve stayed for so many years?
- Do you miss the Philippines and would you go back if you had the chance?
- Do you still speak fluent in your native tongue?
- What was the hardest thing to adapt to in the U.S. ?
- How would you say your life is now in the U.S. ?